COVID-19 has become a world-wide pandemic and changes have been felt everywhere. Even Google My Business (GMB) has had to make changes as towns are becoming more and more locked down. Here are some of the changes we have noticed within GMB.
1. The Q&A sections of the business listing have been removed.
2. Several businesses are now being listed as temporarily closed even though they didn’t officially ask to be. If this has happened to you, un-mark it as closed. If the change doesn’t happen right away then you will have to contact GMB support.
3. As an extra to the above point, GMB has closed down their phone and chat support. Now the only way to contact them by email.
4. GMB is now letting businesses add “delivery available” or “takeout available” to the business listing name, which those businesses weren’t able to do before.
5. Descriptions are not allowed to be added to the business’s listings.
6. Any changes made to the listings are left marked pending unless it’s essential information like store hours. If it’s not essential then it’s not a high priority.
7. Posts have been rejected even though they are within guidelines and have no violations in them.
8. Photos that are being added to listings are not showing live even though it looks like it completed.
9. Review responses are not being published.
10. New listings and verifications could be delayed as there is a higher priority for critical health-related businesses.
11. Businesses are finding they are not able to see new reviews from local service listings. It may seem like it completes but does not show live. This started on March 20, 2020. Our suggestion is to not have customers leave new reviews until this lifts. For example, Bush Gardens in Tampa Bay, FL hasn’t had a new review in a week.